Customer Privacy Notice – Alderney Electricity Limited (“AEL”)
About this document:
This privacy document will help you to understand how AEL collects, uses and protects your personal information.
If you have any questions, please contact our Data Protection Officer (“DPO”), via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by post addressed to the Data Protection Officer, Alderney Electricity Limited, Maison des Venelles, Venelles Des Gaudion, Alderney, GY9 3TW.
AEL is the principal energy provider for the island of Alderney in the Channel Islands. The Company has responsibility for the generation, distribution and retail of electricity on island.
With the exception of aviation fuels, AEL is also responsible for the import, distribution and sale of both wholesale and retail of the major fuel types used on island.
AEL is a limited company incorporated under The Companies Law (Alderney) 1994.
AEL is responsible for the processing of personal information of customers of AEL. This means that AEL is classed as both a “Data Controller” and a “Data Processor” under the Data Protection (Bailiwick of Guernsey) Law, 2017. AEL is registered with the Office of the Data Protection Commissioner, registration number 10088.
What information we collect about you:
The personal data you have provided and AEL have collected from you includes:
- Name and address (local and postal if appropriate).
- Contact details (including telephone number and email address etc).
- Employment status.
- Payment method.
- Bank information in the case of standing order requests.
- Credit card information when this payment is selected (although we do not retain entire card information).
- Type of service and tariff required (electricity and/or oil supply etc).
- Property details (type of property, the number of rooms etc) in the case of electricity accounts.
- Property access details in connection with meter reading and planned oil deliveries.
- Account and consumption/usage history.
- Correspondence history.
What we use your information for and the legal bases for processing
We may store and use your personal information for the purpose of:
- Invoicing for contractual services provided.
- Contact regarding any services or works to be provided by or requested from AEL.
- Communicating to you about any changes to products and services.
- Communicating to you details about planned outages of services.
- Fulfilling our legal obligations to the States of Alderney/States of Guernsey and other regulatory bodies (as is necessary for compliance with our legal obligations and/or is necessary for our legitimate interest).
Our “legitimate interest” as referred to above (and below) include our legitimate interest purposes and commercial interests in operating our business in a customer-focussed, efficient and sustainable manner, in accordance with all applicable legal and regulatory requirements.
Using your personal information for marketing:
AEL will not share any personal information stored about yourself with any 3rd party for marketing uses. AEL may contact you directly from “time to time” to inform’ you of information relevant to your contract with us, however this information will be direct communication and never shared outside of AEL.
Who we share your data with:
AEL will not share your personal information with any 3rd party, except for reasons of fraud prevention or where AEL is fulfilling its obligations to the States of Alderney/States of Guernsey and other regulatory bodies.
How long your information is kept:
We will retain your personal information for a number of purposes, as necessary to allow us to carry out our business. Your information will be kept for up to 7 years on our main systems after the date of the cessation of your contract with us before being removed. These data retention periods are subject to change without further notice as a result of changes to associated law or regulation. You hold full right to request the removal of this information by way of written contractual agreement.
Under the Data Protection (Bailiwick of Guernsey) Law, 2017, you have the following rights:
To obtain access to, and copies of, the personal information we hold about you;
To require that we cease processing your personal information if the processing is causing you damage or distress; unless it is required for contractual reasons.
To require us to correct the personal information we hold about you if it is incorrect or erase it.
Please note that these rights may be limited by data protection legislation, and AEL may be entitled to refuse requests where exceptions apply.
If you are not satisfied with how AEL are processing your information, you can make a complaint to:
Data Protection Officer
Alderney Electricity Limited
Maison des Venelles
Venelles Des Gaudion
In addition you are able to make a complaint to The Office of the Data Protection Commissioner, Guernsey. This can be done by downloading and completing the form at the following web address: https://dataci.gg/online-enquiry/#/complain/form.
This can either be sent via email to email@example.com or send by post to:
The Office of the Data Protection Commissioner
Guernsey Information Centre
St Peter Port